Instagram is one of the largest social platforms in the world. Almost everyone has the app on their smartphone and uses it regularly. But to be able to use Instagram, you have to create an account. Instagram accounts in particular are very susceptible to hacker attacks. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to keep your account safe. You can find out what these possibilities look like in this article.
Why your password should be changed regularly
Social media such as Instagram, Twitter and Facebook in particular are very susceptible to hacker attacks. Most of the time, the whole thing is done via so-called bots, which want to steal your account through a clever link. Sometimes there are targeted attacks by organizations that affect several thousand accounts at the same time. Regularly changing the password could reduce the chances of becoming a victim of a hacker attack somewhat. It is also important to use a fancy password. At best one with at least 12 characters, upper / lower case and special characters.
This is how you change your Instagram password
Changing the password is very simple and can be done relatively quickly. You have to pay attention to the following points:
1. Open Instagram via the app or website
2. Log in here, if you have not already done so, with your account and current password
3. Press your profile picture at the bottom right to access your account.
4. Now press the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner and select the settings here
5. Look for the “Security” tab in the settings and select it
6. Finally, you can change your password under the “Password” tab
Activate two-factor authentication
In order to additionally protect your account, we recommend that you switch on the two-factor authentication, a security message with a code will be sent to you via SMS when you try to log in. Alternatively, you can also use an authentication app. In this case, the hacker would have to view your Instagram account as well as your SMS messages or your authentication app. Activating two-step authentication works as follows:
1. Open Instagram and log in with your account
2. Click on your profile picture at the bottom right to access your account
3. In the upper right corner you select the three horizontal lines again and go to the tab “Security”
4. Here you then select “Two-step authentication” and press “Let’s go”
5. Finally, you can select authentication by the authentication app or alternatively choose authentication via SMS
We hope that our contribution could help you to clarify certain ambiguities. We wish you all the best and have fun with the Instagram app. If you have any further questions, feel free to write to us on social media.